The following post is written by Flipgrid Head of Educator Innovation Jornea Armant Erwin. In this series Jornea will share a unique #GridTip to help you make the most of your Flipgrid subscription!
February 1, 2018 is World Read Aloud Day! We are excited to amplify World Read Aloud Day with Flipgrid ideas to implement in your classroom and beyond! 🚀
In preparation for this post I had an inspiring conversation with Sean Forde, who I call the “King of World Read Alouds.” Sean is a Flipgrid Ambassador who lives in Italy teaching K-5 STEM. With a passion for learning, language, culture and connecting, Sean created a World Read Aloud Grid where people around the world read a page of a book to create a collaborative masterpiece. Flipgrid's very own founder, Dr. Charlie Miller, and CEO, Jim Leslie, contributed to Sean's first World Read Aloud Flipgrid, reading Oh, The Places You'll Go. 🌍
Through these projects, Sean's students were able to see the power of connection, experience other languages and cultures, and see the world through a different lens. Sean focused his curriculum on a five areas:
- Listening Skills - hearing various voices, language development, attending to details
- Reading & Language Skills - vocabulary development, learning about sentence structure, intonations, improving comprehension skills
- Connecting Math Concepts - mapping the distance between the location of responses
- Researching Skills - researching and exploring the cultures from the responses
- Social Studies, Geography, and Science Skills - explore the location's landforms and weather patterns
Ready to get started with your students? Here are a 5 fabulous ideas to celebrate World Read Aloud day with Flipgrid! Click each for a “ready made” topic in the Flipgrid Discovery Library to add to your grid!
- Determine the best book for your class or school to read. For the class, have each student or pair of students choose a page to read. (See the docs attached to Sean's WRA grid for organization ideas). During station rotations or throughout the day, students or classes add their reading as a response to the topic.
- EXTENSION: Appsmash by using DoInk Green Screen app to add the book images behind students as they read.
- EXTENSION: Download the videos and add to Google Slides or BookCreator to create your collaborative book
- EXTENSION: Stitch downloaded videos together with WeVideo, Apple Clips or iMovie to create a single video reading of the shared book.
Most importantly, have fun sharing the love of reading!
See you on the grid! 🚀