End this school year with a splash in the Flipgrid Explorer Series: Aquarium! Educator and Aquatic Expert Sam D'Orsaneo is excited to bring your students beyond the sea and share the roaring research and adventures at the Aquarium of Niagara!
Starting May 7, Sam will join you and your students for a two-week exploration filled with creatures from the deep blue. She'll share the conservation and research work they do at the Aquarium of Niagara and ignite discussion among your students and their peers around the world. Dip your toe in to find out what's happening below:
- Pre-Series: Welcome (LIVE NOW): Get a preview of Sam’s Explorer Series and have your students share their favorite sea creature as we gear-up for this awesome exploration!
- In the Tank (May 7 - 18, 2018): In this Topic Sam will share daily videos from inside the Aquarium of Niagara!
- Week 1 Discussion (May 7 - 12): What is an aquarium?
- Week 2 Discussion (May 13 - 18): Why are aquariums important?
- Swimming with Questions (May 7- 18): Share your questions with Sam! She’ll answer as many as she can and we’ll feature the Responses with her Replies!
- Reflection (May 17-18): What's something you learned during this Explorer Series?
We were introduced to Sam by Stryker Ostafew from Mill Middle School. Stryker was doing a project with his class and wanted to get a professional involved so he reached out to the Aquarium of Niagara and connected with Sam! As soon as we saw Sam on the Grid we knew she would make a perfect Flipgrid Explorer!
Sam is an Educator who has worked at the Aquarium of Niagara for nearly four years. We asked Sam about how she got into the field and she told us… I have loved animals since I was very young and always knew I wanted to do something with that love when I got older. I pursued my passion with an associates degree in Animal Management and have had hands on experience in the animal field serving as an intern and volunteer at various animal care facilities such as zoos, aquariums and even a horse farm. Now I am very happy to be a part of the Aquarium of Niagara’s amazing team teaching visitors all about our natural world.
If you haven’t participated in a Flipgrid Explorer Series, we’d love for this to be your first! As there will be classrooms from around the world joining, we recommend you:
- Start out with a brief lesson on digital citizenship and sharing what is/is not appropriate in a video response. We ask that each participating educator monitor her/his students' responses.
- Let us know you're participating by filling out this form.
- Hop on the Grid with your students and have fun!
To get an idea of what participating in an Explorer Series is like, check out Beth Mistretta's experience along with our previous Explorer Series Grids: Robots, Music, Sharks, Code, Nature, Brains, Fossils, Raptors, and Antarctica!